Gift Card FAQs
The Gift Card is a non-reloadable prepaid card that consumers can use everywhere that Visa® debit cards are welcomed. While a prepaid card looks similar to a credit card - both have the Visa mark and hologram - Gift Card holders do not have a line of credit. Instead, the recipient can spend up to the value on the card. But the great thing is that merchants welcome the Gift Card just like any other Visa debit card. When the recipient makes a purchase with the Gift Card, the purchase amount is deducted from the card value.
As a valued customer, you will be able to easily purchase a Gift Card at any East West Bank Banking Office through the following steps.
- Select the amount you would like to give to the recipient.
- Pay for the Gift Card through a transfer from your deposit account. NOTE: You may not purchase an East West Bank Gift Card using a credit or debit card issued by another bank.
- Accept the terms and conditions as outlined in the East West Bank Gift Card Agreement and User Guide for purchase and use of the card.
- Review your order for accuracy and make any necessary changes.
- Provide the card and a copy of the East West Bank Gift Card Agreement and User Guide to the recipient.
Your Gift Card will be ready for use as soon as it is activated in the Banking Office.
There may be a fee assessed at the time you purchase the Gift Card. Please refer to our Gift Card Agreement and User Guide for details on fees associated with issuance and use of the Gift Card.
Consumers can use the Gift Card to make purchases anywhere that Visa debit cards are welcome – domestic, international (International transaction and conversion fees may apply), at stores, by phone, and online.
NOTE: Online and telephone transactions requiring verification of cardholder name and address information for database comparison may be declined because there has been a transfer of ownership in the card from the purchaser to the recipient/cardholder. More information regarding the following specific transaction types is provided in the East West Bank Gift Card Agreement and User Guide.
- Gasoline Stations/"Pay at the Pump" - transactions preauthorized prior to purchase; if the preauthorization amount exceeds the value on your card, the transaction may be declined.
- Restaurants - transactions often authorized to include the bill amount plus an applied TIP rate; if this authorization amount exceeds the value on your card, the transaction may be declined.
- ATM - the East West Bank Gift Card does not allow for ATM cash withdrawals.
- Banking Office or Branch - the East West Bank Gift Card is not cash enabled for Banking Offices.
For security purposes, the card should be signed by the recipient as soon as it is received. From that point on, the cardholder whose signature appears on the card is the only one who can use it.
No, the cardholder does not need to have access to the internet or an email address to enjoy the convenience of the Gift Card. However, the cardholder can check value and transaction information without charge by going to www.eastwestbank.com. Information is also available by calling us at 800.627.2140.
No, you cannot access more than the balance available on your card. However, the transaction can be completed with a split tender transaction, which is described in the East West Bank Gift Card Agreement and User Guide.
Your Card and PIN are activated in the Branch as they are issued to you. If you do not know or remember your PIN, you may select a new PIN by contacting Customer Service at 800.627.2140. Keep in mind that this PIN cannot be used to access cash at ATMs or to receive cash back when making a purchase. Also, be sure not to disclose your PIN to anyone. If the security or confidentiality of your PIN is compromised, you should notify us immediately by calling Customer Service at 800.627.2140
With an East West Bank Gift Card, you have a choice! For those merchants who accept Visa® debit cards, you can simply press the 'Credit' button on the merchant’s terminal and complete the transaction with your signature. Some merchants may also allow you to select ‘Debit’ and enter your PIN to complete the transaction.
If your card is lost, stolen or destroyed, it may be replaced in certain circumstances. Please review the Card Agreement and User Guide for information regarding your liability for lost/stolen cards and unauthorized transactions.
You have the opportunity to dispute errors. Please review the Gift Card Agreement and User Guide for instructions on the process for error resolution.
Yes, you can cancel the East West Bank Gift Card. Please review the Card Agreement and User Guide for procedures and fees associated with card cancellation.
Yes, your card expiration date appears on the front of the card. We encourage you to use your card's entire value within six (6) months of its purchase. Please refer to the Gift Card Agreement and User Guide.
No, you cannot add money to your gift card. Please visit an East West Bank location to purchase another gift card.